Tuesday, September 27, 2011

[Cosplay] Monkey D Luffy: DIY Luffy's red vest

Okay~ so after some discussion with hubby... we kinda forfeited the cosplay couple for Halloween idea and decided it'd be way too much effort to try and get/make both costumes... and being a beginner in sewing... for me to try and make any costumes with elaborate details will just end in failure... :T so in the end, we've decided that he would play detective Conan and I'll play Luffy from One Piece~ X3 (we did think of me dressing as Lan from Conan... but I'd have to get the high school skirt and another blue blazer... which would just end up costing too much... :S) This is the first time that I'm actually attempting to make a costume and actually "cosplaying" an anime character! X3 (my first steps into becoming a real otaku~ <3 haha~) though I have played more classic comic characters like Popeye's girlfriend Olive Oyl (with great success too... someone came up to me and said that I look exactly like Olive... not sure if I should be happy about that or not though... :T)

Real Luffy! 


Anyway, on topic! here's a little step-by-step DIY of what I did to make Luffy's vest~ :D


- Bought a kid's sweater at the $1 shop... for $1.... XD


- Cut the sleeves off and made a cut in the middle for the vest opening and took off triangles at the neck for the V neck line~ 


- Finished the raw edges so that the fabric won't fray


- Pinned and sew around the edges~


- After all the sewing~ 


- Added yellow buttons and button holes~ (buttons also came from the $1 shop~ XD)


- Fake Luffy~ The pants I got from Walmart for $3! was the last pair in that color~ was really lucky that it fits me perfectly! 

One bad thing about cosplaying Luffy during non-summer seasons is that I'm pretty sure that I'll be freezing my behind off Halloween night... so I'll have to think about how to winter proof this costume... (tried wearing long sleeves under the vest... but then it's just not Luffy anymore... :T) Anyways~ I thought it was a very good first attempt at making a vest (well... semi-make) and am pretty proud of myself~ XD

4 comments:

  1. This really helped for me when I Went to Comic con last year! :D Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Great! Perfect info as I'm making my own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg thanks! I needed this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Thanks, i really try this tuto ^_^

    ReplyDelete