Wednesday, October 5, 2011

[Video game] F.E.A.R.3 (F.3.A.R.): first impressions of ghosts, guts and co-op fun!

I haven't always been a fan of first-person shooting games.. and that is mainly due to the lack of skills on my part making it into a game of death for me.... :T despite the lack of skills, in the past couple of years I did manage (somehow!?) to get through some shooting games in Co-op mode with hubby~ :3 However! F.E.A.R.3 (or F.3.A.R) is my first encounter with the F.E.A.R franchise... having only watched hubby play single player mode in F.E.A.R.2 (which he didn't complete due to motion sickness in the game... :T) we were quite amused that this game had Co-op story play with a twist! :3

Mommy watches over the boys~

To my (pleasant) surprise the second player gets to be Fettel, a man glowing red with telekinetic powers whom also apparently was an antagonist in the previous installment (not so sure about this as I didn't play 1 or 2...) The game play as Fettel was soooo fun! I could not believe I was enjoying a first person shooting game so much! You get to "suspend" things or people, execute the force (though this is not so powerful when facing enemy with armor on... :T) AND you get to "possess" people (which in turn lets you shoot your original comrades... if that makes sense~)! How fun is that! :D Okay... the only downside is having to wait for your "possess" power to recharge before you can possess someone else again... and it is during this period that I often let our team down by dying awfully quickly.... sorry hubby... (^^;)

Another reason that I really preferred playing Fettel than the shooter soldier Point Man is that Fettel looked really creepy on screen.... and hubby often got more scared by me (as Fettel) sneaking behind him... than the other gouls and ghosts in the actual storyline... (^^;) haha~

Talking about horror... I personally found the setting and pace of the game to my liking... with horror movie like insertions of long hair ghost child standing strategically at a corner or shadowy creeping figures running past the corner of your eye... had me scream out loud a few times (which in turn scared hubby! lol~) I also found the plot quite intriguing... and that even though I didn't play the first two games... I understood what's going on generally and that there were still some mystic behind the game.... (not sure how I would've taken it if I had already know the more detailed plot...)

So far we've maybe played through 4 stages... and I'm having a GREAT time! :D I'm not sure if it's just that I'm a bit rusty with first person game or that all the possessing that Fettel gets to do (plus on top of that, I never know when hubby's going to press the bullet-time button... (=.=;)) I started feeling a bit of motion sickness after a while... and I guess the increasing blood and gore in each stage did not help make me less nauseated. (though according to hubby this is already a lot better than the shaky camera action in F.E.A.R.2). If I was to give the game a score right now... I'd give it a 4.25 sabi stars out of 5!! *thumbs up* Shall update again once we finish the game~ X3

No comments:

Post a Comment